Tibet monk given 11 yrs in colleague`s immolation
Beijing: A Chinese court has sentenced a Tibetan monk to 11 years in jail after ruling he hid another monk who set himself on fire, denying him emergency treatment.
The official Xinhua News Agency said on Monday that the court in Sichuan province`s Aba prefecture imposed the sentence on Drongdru after a one-day trial.
It convicted Drongdru, a monk in the Kirti monastery, on charges of intentional homicide for hiding another monk, Rigzin Phuntsog, for 11 hours after he set himself on fire. He later died in a hospital.
The March 16 death of 16-year-old Phuntsog was seen as a protest against China`s heavy-handed controls on Tibetan Buddhism and provoked a standoff between security forces and monks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman