Tibet receives record 10 million of tourists this year
Beijing: The Tibet Autonomous Region has received a record 10 million domestic and foreign tourists this year so far, reflecting a booming tourism industry in the picturesque Himalayan region.
As of Novemeber 30, the total number of tourists visiting the region had surged 22.6 per cent year on year to 10.34 million, exceeding 10 million for the first time, Wang Songping, an official with the region`s tourism bureau said.
Revenues in the tourism sector increased 33.9 per cent year on year to 12.4 billion yuan (USD 1.99 billion), Wang said.
Wang attributed the boom to nationwide promotion efforts, improved transportation access and an increasing number of individual trips.
Most of the tourists are from the mainland and the tourist destinations included Tibetan Buddhism heritage sites, such as Potala Palace, which was the home of the Dalai Lama before he left on self exile, Jokhang Temple and the Zhaxi Lhunbo Monastery.
Nearly three lakh people are employed in the region`s tourism sector, according to government figures.
The number of tourists travelling to Tibet has grown by an average of 30 percent annually over the past five years.
Last year, more than 8.69 million people visited Tibet, bringing in tourism revenues of 9.7 billion yuan.
Authorities expect to see 15 million tourists annually by 2015, state run Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'