Tibetan girl self-immolates in protest against Chinese repression
Sydney: Now, a 16-year-old Tibetan girl has reportedly died after setting herself on fire in a protest against China’s religious and political suppression.
According to a report by state-run Xinhua news agency, the school pupil self-immolated on Monday in the village of Dageri in China`s northwestern province of Qinghai, an area with a high population of ethnic Tibetans.
Her body was cremated four hours later and returned to her family, the news agency said, adding that local government officials were investigating, the Herald Sun reports.
According to the paper, over 90 Tibetans have set themselves ablaze since 2009 to protest China`s rule of the Tibetan plateau, rights groups have said.
The teenager is among the youngest girls to have set themselves on fire.
Tibetans accuse the Chinese government of religious repression and eroding their culture, as the country`s majority Han ethnic group increasingly moves into historically minority areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok