Tibetan girl self-immolates in protest against Chinese repression
Sydney: Now, a 16-year-old Tibetan girl has reportedly died after setting herself on fire in a protest against China’s religious and political suppression.
According to a report by state-run Xinhua news agency, the school pupil self-immolated on Monday in the village of Dageri in China`s northwestern province of Qinghai, an area with a high population of ethnic Tibetans.
Her body was cremated four hours later and returned to her family, the news agency said, adding that local government officials were investigating, the Herald Sun reports.
According to the paper, over 90 Tibetans have set themselves ablaze since 2009 to protest China`s rule of the Tibetan plateau, rights groups have said.
The teenager is among the youngest girls to have set themselves on fire.
Tibetans accuse the Chinese government of religious repression and eroding their culture, as the country`s majority Han ethnic group increasingly moves into historically minority areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more
- New Hyundai Elantra to be launched in India today
- Amit Shah to inaugurate workshop of BJP state core committees