Tibetan girl self-immolates in protest against Chinese repression
Sydney: Now, a 16-year-old Tibetan girl has reportedly died after setting herself on fire in a protest against China’s religious and political suppression.
According to a report by state-run Xinhua news agency, the school pupil self-immolated on Monday in the village of Dageri in China`s northwestern province of Qinghai, an area with a high population of ethnic Tibetans.
Her body was cremated four hours later and returned to her family, the news agency said, adding that local government officials were investigating, the Herald Sun reports.
According to the paper, over 90 Tibetans have set themselves ablaze since 2009 to protest China`s rule of the Tibetan plateau, rights groups have said.
The teenager is among the youngest girls to have set themselves on fire.
Tibetans accuse the Chinese government of religious repression and eroding their culture, as the country`s majority Han ethnic group increasingly moves into historically minority areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Brexit a danger to US financial stability: Treasury
- Pak group uses ‘pellet-hit’ images of PM Modi, Amitabh Bachchan for Kashmir issue
- 19 killed in knife rampage at Japan care home; suspect surrenders
- Government auditor suspects companies rigged 1st e-auction of coal blocks in 2015
- FBI probes Democratic email hack, but is Russia to blame?