Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China
Beijing: A Tibet activist group says a former Buddhist monk has set himself on fire to protest Chinese rule in the region.
Free Tibet said the 19-year-old man set himself ablaze on Saturday in the town of Aba in western China that has been the site of a series of such protests. It said police put out the fire and the man`s condition was unknown.
The group said the man was the eighth Tibetan protester to set himself on fire this year. It said he shouted "Tibet needs freedom!" and called for the return of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
A man who answered the phone at the Aba police headquarters hung up when asked whether the incident occurred. Phone calls to other government offices were not answered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- IBPS clerk V mains exams results to be uploaded on official website soon; notification out
- 'Walking Up With Kolkata' – This video will make you fall in love with the City of Joy