Tibetan monk sets himself on fire in China
Beijing: A Tibet activist group says a former Buddhist monk has set himself on fire to protest Chinese rule in the region.
Free Tibet said the 19-year-old man set himself ablaze on Saturday in the town of Aba in western China that has been the site of a series of such protests. It said police put out the fire and the man`s condition was unknown.
The group said the man was the eighth Tibetan protester to set himself on fire this year. It said he shouted "Tibet needs freedom!" and called for the return of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
A man who answered the phone at the Aba police headquarters hung up when asked whether the incident occurred. Phone calls to other government offices were not answered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday