Tibetan mother of 4 self-immolates in protest against Chinese oppression
Washington: A 30-year-old Tibetan woman has set herself on fire in the latest self-immolation protest against China’s political and religious oppression.
A US-backed broadcaster said that the mother of four young children Kalkyi set herself on fire Sunday near a monastery in Sichuan province`s Aba county.
The report said she died at the scene and her body was placed in the nearby Jonang Tibetan Buddhist monastery, according to ABC news.
Aba has seen the largest number of the 110 such protests that have occurred starting in 2009.
Tibetan rights advocates say the self-immolations aim to protest Chinese rule and call for the return of exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
China, however, blames the Dalai Lama’s supporters of encouraging the suicides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples