Tibetan mother of 4 self-immolates in protest against Chinese oppression
Washington: A 30-year-old Tibetan woman has set herself on fire in the latest self-immolation protest against China’s political and religious oppression.
A US-backed broadcaster said that the mother of four young children Kalkyi set herself on fire Sunday near a monastery in Sichuan province`s Aba county.
The report said she died at the scene and her body was placed in the nearby Jonang Tibetan Buddhist monastery, according to ABC news.
Aba has seen the largest number of the 110 such protests that have occurred starting in 2009.
Tibetan rights advocates say the self-immolations aim to protest Chinese rule and call for the return of exiled spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
China, however, blames the Dalai Lama’s supporters of encouraging the suicides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS