Tibetan sets himself on fire outside Lhasa
Beijing: A US broadcaster says a Tibetan man protesting against Chinese rule set himself on fire outside the tightly controlled region`s main city of Lhasa.
Radio Free Asia reported today that the man self-immolated Saturday outside an old community hall in Dangxiong county.
The report cites an unidentified source in Lhasa city as saying the man shouted slogans in support of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
About 40 people have set themselves on fire over the past year and a half in ethnic Tibetan areas of China in protest of what activists say is Beijing`s heavy-handed rule in the region.
Officials in Dangxiong either refused to comment or said they had not heard about the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured