Tibetan sets himself on fire outside Lhasa
Beijing: A US broadcaster says a Tibetan man protesting against Chinese rule set himself on fire outside the tightly controlled region`s main city of Lhasa.
Radio Free Asia reported today that the man self-immolated Saturday outside an old community hall in Dangxiong county.
The report cites an unidentified source in Lhasa city as saying the man shouted slogans in support of the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama.
About 40 people have set themselves on fire over the past year and a half in ethnic Tibetan areas of China in protest of what activists say is Beijing`s heavy-handed rule in the region.
Officials in Dangxiong either refused to comment or said they had not heard about the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- 'ISIS letter' in Varanasi challenges Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath to stop mayhem on March 24