Tibetan writer detained in China crackdown: Report
Beijing: An overseas Tibetan news service says Chinese police have detained a Tibetan writer in a western county hit by anti-government protests as China`s crackdown against persisting unrest spreads.
The Voice of Tibet, which is based in Norway, says that more than 20 police officers took Gangkye Drubpa Kyab from his home in Serthar county`s main town on Wednesday night and that he has not been released.
Police and government officials in Serthar said they had not heard about the case.
Tibetans and Chinese authorities have been caught in a cycle of protest and repression over the past year. More than 20 Tibetans have set themselves on fire to protest repressive measures, and security forces have responded by further tightening controls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29