Tibetans activists stage protest at White House
Washington: Scores of Tibetan activists have
held a peaceful protest outside the White House seeking freedom for Tibet as Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping arrived in the US on a five-day visit.
Asking US President Barack Obama to raise the issue of
human rights violation by China in Tibet with the visiting
Chinese leader, who is expected to soon become the President
of the country, young Tibetan descended to the White House to
register their protest against human rights violations in
"We are trying to urge Obama to raise the Tibetan
issue with Xi and tell him that people of Tibet now really
religious freedom," said Gonpo Tsewang, a Tibetan leader from
New York-New Jersey area.
Gonpo said the Tibetans youth want freedom for Tibet
from China, and differ with the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan
spiritual leader, on this issue who favors autonomy within
"Freedom is our birth right. Tibet has never been a part
of China in many centuries," he said.
Tibetan are planning several demonstrations during Xi`s
visit to protest against Chinese policies in Tibet, which they
blame for a series of self-immolations by ethnic Tibetans over
the past year.
At least 18 Tibetans have set fire to themselves in the
recent months to protest what they see as a lack of rights
under Chinese rule.
"As a Tibetan-American born in Tibet, I have to speak out
at this critical moment when Xi Jinping and the Chinese
government have literally declared war against my people and
are shooting peaceful protesters in the streets of Tibet,"
said Tenzin Jigme, of the International Tibet Network.
"Xi Jinping has come here seeking American friendship and
approval, and President Obama, as the leader of the greatest
democracy in the world, has the power to influence Xi and stop
this bloody crackdown," Tenzin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’