Tibetans activists stage protest at White House
Washington: Scores of Tibetan activists have
held a peaceful protest outside the White House seeking freedom for Tibet as Chinese Vice President Xi Jinping arrived in the US on a five-day visit.
Asking US President Barack Obama to raise the issue of
human rights violation by China in Tibet with the visiting
Chinese leader, who is expected to soon become the President
of the country, young Tibetan descended to the White House to
register their protest against human rights violations in
"We are trying to urge Obama to raise the Tibetan
issue with Xi and tell him that people of Tibet now really
religious freedom," said Gonpo Tsewang, a Tibetan leader from
New York-New Jersey area.
Gonpo said the Tibetans youth want freedom for Tibet
from China, and differ with the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan
spiritual leader, on this issue who favors autonomy within
"Freedom is our birth right. Tibet has never been a part
of China in many centuries," he said.
Tibetan are planning several demonstrations during Xi`s
visit to protest against Chinese policies in Tibet, which they
blame for a series of self-immolations by ethnic Tibetans over
the past year.
At least 18 Tibetans have set fire to themselves in the
recent months to protest what they see as a lack of rights
under Chinese rule.
"As a Tibetan-American born in Tibet, I have to speak out
at this critical moment when Xi Jinping and the Chinese
government have literally declared war against my people and
are shooting peaceful protesters in the streets of Tibet,"
said Tenzin Jigme, of the International Tibet Network.
"Xi Jinping has come here seeking American friendship and
approval, and President Obama, as the leader of the greatest
democracy in the world, has the power to influence Xi and stop
this bloody crackdown," Tenzin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey