Tibetans in exile concerned over unrest in Tibet
Dharamsala: The Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) Sunday expressed concern over the prevailing tense situation in Tibet and asked the Chinese authorities to redress the genuine grievances of locals.
"The tragic self-immolations by Tibetans would stop only if the Chinese government addresses their genuine and long-standing grievances, and finds a lasting solution to the problem of Tibet through dialogue," Dicki Chhoyang, minister of information and international relations of the CTA, said here.
According to the democratically-elected CTA, 56 Tibetans have set themselves afire to protest China`s policies and to press their demand for freedom since March 2011.
One more Tibetan immolated himself in Tibet`s northeastern Sangchu County Saturday, the CTA said.
"We again strongly reiterate our long-standing appeal to the international community to press the Chinese government to end the deepening crisis in Tibet," she added.
Expressing anguish over the spate of self-immolation incidents in Tibet, the prime minister has asked the Tibetans to refrain from such a drastic form of protest.
The Dalai Lama has lived in India since fleeing his homeland in 1959. The Tibetan government-in-exile is based in this north Indian hill town.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know