Tibetans mark anniversary of 1959 uprising
Chicago: Over 100 Tibetans wearing `Free Tibet` caps and placards gathered in downtown Chicago to mark the 52nd anniversary of the Tibetan National Uprising Day against the Chinese rule.
Shouting slogans like `Resistance is justified when people are occupied`, `China, China Out of Tibet` and `Free Tibet`, the protesters walked from Water Tower Place to Chinese Consulate in downtown Chicago yesterday.
The protestors, however, were not allowed to rally at the entrance of the Chinese Consulate as police cars stopped them.
In January, when Chinese President Hu Jintao visited Chicago there were huge anti-China protests too.
"Even after 52 years we have not forgotten our country and we would like to take it back," president of the Tibetan Alliance of Chicago Lobsang Wangdak said.
"This year the Chinese have put restriction on tourists to go into Tibet from January to June so that they can oppress and the outside world would not be able to see," Wangdak added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'