Ties with NATO strained by disputes: Russian FM
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister says a dispute over the US-led missile defence plans and other frictions have strained Moscow`s ties with NATO.
Sergey Lavrov Wednesday said that Moscow is continuing to seek guarantees that the planned shield wouldn`t pose a threat to Russia`s nuclear forces. He said the failure to negotiate a settlement was rooted in Washington`s refusal to accept any limitations on the missile shield.
The US Says the missile defence plan is aimed at fending off an Iranian missile threat, but Moscow has rejected the claim, saying the system may eventually grow powerful enough to threaten Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
Lavrov said Russia was ready to continue cooperate with NATO on Afghanistan and other issues. But he voiced grievances about the alliance`s expansion plans and its activities near Russian borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...