Ties with NATO strained by disputes: Russian FM
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister says a dispute over the US-led missile defence plans and other frictions have strained Moscow`s ties with NATO.
Sergey Lavrov Wednesday said that Moscow is continuing to seek guarantees that the planned shield wouldn`t pose a threat to Russia`s nuclear forces. He said the failure to negotiate a settlement was rooted in Washington`s refusal to accept any limitations on the missile shield.
The US Says the missile defence plan is aimed at fending off an Iranian missile threat, but Moscow has rejected the claim, saying the system may eventually grow powerful enough to threaten Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
Lavrov said Russia was ready to continue cooperate with NATO on Afghanistan and other issues. But he voiced grievances about the alliance`s expansion plans and its activities near Russian borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information