Ties with NATO strained by disputes: Russian FM
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister says a dispute over the US-led missile defence plans and other frictions have strained Moscow`s ties with NATO.
Sergey Lavrov Wednesday said that Moscow is continuing to seek guarantees that the planned shield wouldn`t pose a threat to Russia`s nuclear forces. He said the failure to negotiate a settlement was rooted in Washington`s refusal to accept any limitations on the missile shield.
The US Says the missile defence plan is aimed at fending off an Iranian missile threat, but Moscow has rejected the claim, saying the system may eventually grow powerful enough to threaten Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
Lavrov said Russia was ready to continue cooperate with NATO on Afghanistan and other issues. But he voiced grievances about the alliance`s expansion plans and its activities near Russian borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra