Ties with NATO strained by disputes: Russian FM
Moscow: Russia`s foreign minister says a dispute over the US-led missile defence plans and other frictions have strained Moscow`s ties with NATO.
Sergey Lavrov Wednesday said that Moscow is continuing to seek guarantees that the planned shield wouldn`t pose a threat to Russia`s nuclear forces. He said the failure to negotiate a settlement was rooted in Washington`s refusal to accept any limitations on the missile shield.
The US Says the missile defence plan is aimed at fending off an Iranian missile threat, but Moscow has rejected the claim, saying the system may eventually grow powerful enough to threaten Russia`s nuclear deterrent.
Lavrov said Russia was ready to continue cooperate with NATO on Afghanistan and other issues. But he voiced grievances about the alliance`s expansion plans and its activities near Russian borders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj