Ties with US ‘seriously disrupted’: China FM
Beijing: Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi said on Sunday that relations with the United States had been "seriously disrupted”, after a rise in friction between the two big powers.
"The responsibility does not lie with China," said Yang, speaking at a news conference on the sidelines of the annual session of China`s Parliament.
Beijing and Washington have recently gone through a rough patch, with quarrels in January and February over Chinese Internet censorship, trade disputes, US arms sales to Taiwan, and President Barack Obama`s meeting with the Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan leader.
The United States "must respect China`s core interests" on Taiwan and Tibet, Yang added. "I believe the United States understands very well China`s core interests and major concerns.”
"China has always attached importance to its relationship with the United States," he said. "Resolutely adhering to one`s principled stance is not the same thing as being hardline."
But the two big trade partners appear to want to lower the temperature of the disputes as they also grapple with how to deal with how to deal with Iran and North Korea.
Beijing has not yet acted on its threat to sanction US companies involved in the arms sales to Taiwan, the self-ruled island that Beijing claims as part of its territory.
Last weekend, Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao said he wanted trade friction with the United States to ease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA