Tighter security at last point of departure for US flights
Washington: Passengers flying to America would have to undergo stricter security and additional screening measures at the last point of departure of a US-bound flight in the coming days.
Following the attempt to bomb a US-bound plane on Christmas Day, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has issued fresh guidelines for additional security measures to be implemented for last point of departure of international flights to the US, such as increased gate pat-downs and bag searches, the Department of Homeland Security said in a statement.
"At the direction of the flight crew, passengers may also be asked to follow additional instructions, such as stowing personal items, turning off electronic equipment and remaining seated during certain portions of the flight," the statement said.
Other security measures include deployment of additional law enforcement at airports, air marshals, and explosives detection canine teams, it said.
TSA will continue to work with airline and law enforcement authorities, as well as federal, state, local and international partners to put additional security measures in place to ensure that aviation security remains strong, the official statement said.
Created in the aftermath of the 9/11 terror attacks, through an Act of the Congress, TSA is responsible for security in all modes of transportation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!