Time bomb injures three in Nigeria
Abuja: A suspected time bomb detonated near a praying ground in Nigeria`s northern city of Kano Sunday injuring three security men.
An eyewitness who wanted to remain anonymous told PTI on phone that the area of Kantin Kwari where the bomb was planted was used as a resting place by the security men who guarded the Muslim praying ground near a textile market.
"The bombs exploded early in the morning when traders were opening their shops for the day`s business. There was pandemonium as soon as the bomb exploded. People ran in different directions," he said.
The injured were local security officers.
Confirming the incident the state police spokesman, Musa Magaji Majia said the explosion injured the three persons who were at the junction of the Busy Textile market in Kano.
Security personnel of Joint Task Force (JTF) cordoned off the scene of the blast and the entire area, he said adding that the injured persons have been taken to hospital for treatment.
He did not confirm if the bombing could be linked to radical Islamic sect Boko Haram which has been waging a terror war in northern Nigeria since 2009.
The sect says it is fighting to install Islamic sharia rule in Africa`s top oil-producing country.
The country though a secular state, has two major religions; Islam and Christianity.
Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north but they share the 150 million population of the country on roughly equal proportion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing