Time bomb injures three in Nigeria
Abuja: A suspected time bomb detonated near a praying ground in Nigeria`s northern city of Kano Sunday injuring three security men.
An eyewitness who wanted to remain anonymous told PTI on phone that the area of Kantin Kwari where the bomb was planted was used as a resting place by the security men who guarded the Muslim praying ground near a textile market.
"The bombs exploded early in the morning when traders were opening their shops for the day`s business. There was pandemonium as soon as the bomb exploded. People ran in different directions," he said.
The injured were local security officers.
Confirming the incident the state police spokesman, Musa Magaji Majia said the explosion injured the three persons who were at the junction of the Busy Textile market in Kano.
Security personnel of Joint Task Force (JTF) cordoned off the scene of the blast and the entire area, he said adding that the injured persons have been taken to hospital for treatment.
He did not confirm if the bombing could be linked to radical Islamic sect Boko Haram which has been waging a terror war in northern Nigeria since 2009.
The sect says it is fighting to install Islamic sharia rule in Africa`s top oil-producing country.
The country though a secular state, has two major religions; Islam and Christianity.
Christians are found mainly in the south while Muslims are predominant in the north but they share the 150 million population of the country on roughly equal proportion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves