Time-frame should be attached for inspection by IAEA: Iran
New Delhi: Iran on Friday made it clear that it wants a "time-frame" to be attached for any inspection by International Atomic Energy Agency of its nuclear programme and accused western powers of exerting "heavy political pressure" on the nuclear watchdog.
Mostafa Dolatyar, Director-General of Institute of Political and International Studies and Member of the Nuclear Negotiating Team, said Iran is a "responsible member" of the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) and that it needs to be treated like any other signatory of the treaty.
Asserting that his country is not into developing nuclear weapons, the career diplomat accused the US and other western countries of putting "political pressure" on the IAEA and its Director-General.
"The western countries have a political agenda. We are acceptable to inspection. But there has to be a time-frame. If they want to do it as a gang, of course, it is not possible. Then they might say after six months they want to visit again. If it is the case there is no end for it," he said.
Dolatyar said developing nuclear weapons is of no use and gave the example of countries like Russia, Israel, India and Pakistan which possesses nuclear weapons but can`t use them to "solve their differences."
"Israeli regime has it. India and Pakistan have. Does it help them to solve their problems?" he asked.
He justified Iran increasing percentage of fuel enrichment as he said no country was ready to provide that to his country despite its willingness to pay for it.
Talking about sanctions, the diplomat said the sanctions actually affect western countries like European nations as the "lucrative Iranian market" is closed for them.
"Sanction is not really against Iran. It is because of the political agenda pursued by some countries. It is the European countries which are affected by it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH