Time needed to resume NKorea nuclear talks: UN
Seoul (South Korea): A top UN envoy said Saturday it could take some time before North Korea rejoins stalled international talks aimed at ending its nuclear weapons programs.
North Korea, believed to have enough weaponized plutonium for at least a half dozen bombs, walked away from disarmament-for-aid negotiations and conducted a second nuclear test last year, drawing tightened UN sanctions.
North Korea has called for a lifting of the sanctions and peace talks formally ending the 1950-53 Korean War before it returns to the disarmament talks, which also involve South Korea, the US, China, Russia and Japan.
"This process is a negotiated one and they are talking. My impression is that these talks may go on for a bit of time as they decide to get back," UN olitical chief B. Lynn Pascoe told reporters in Seoul after visiting Pyongyang, North Korea`s capital.
Pascoe, the highest-ranking UN iplomat to visit the North since 2004, earlier said he made it quite clear to the North Koreans that "we wanted the talks to be re-engaged very quickly to move forward and without preconditions."
His comments came amid a flurry of diplomatic efforts to revive the nuclear negotiations, including a trip in recent days by North Korean nuclear envoy Kim Kye Gwan to Beijing for talks with his Chinese counterpart.
The North`s Foreign Ministry said in comments carried by its official Korean Central News Agency that "both sides had an in-depth discussion on the issue of boosting the (North Korea)-China relations and matters of speeding up the denuclearization of the peninsula."
On his return from China, Kim said the issue of resuming the nuclear talks "is still under consultation (with China)," Japan`s Kyodo News agency reported from Pyongyang. He declined to give any details on his talks with China, noting "we are in the process of diplomatic contacts."
South Korea`s Dong-a Ilbo newspaper reported Saturday that North Korea is strongly pushing for Kim to visit the US or a bilateral meeting in March, but the US as not authorized a visa for him. It cited unidentified diplomatic sources.
But US tate Department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters Friday there were no plans for a visit by Kim, and no current US iscussions with North Korea about such a trip.
A bilateral meeting between the North Korean envoy and US fficials would be a strong sign that the push to get the disarmament talks back on track is gaining traction. It would also confirm a warming in relations between the US nd North Korea, wartime rivals that do not have diplomatic relations.
Meanwhile, some 100,000 North Koreans rallied in Pyongyang on Saturday to support the government`s policy of building a "great, prosperous and powerful country," the North`s state-run television said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow