Time Warner in talks on Vice Media stake: reports
Washington: US media conglomerate Time Warner has begun talks for a stake in the fast-growing online news operation Vice Media, reports said.
The New York Times today reported that Time Warner is considering an investment of as much as USD 1 billion in a deal that could give Vice the cable channel HLN, formerly known as CNN Headline News.
That followed a report in Britain`s Sky News that the US media powerhouse could invest as much as USD 2.2 billion.
Both reports said the talks had not finalised any deal. The two firms did not respond to a request for comment.
Vice is seen as one of the hottest online news outlets, providing news and videos and aiming at a youth-oriented audience. It began in Montreal as a magazine for music enthusiasts before shifting its focus and moving to the New York borough of Brooklyn.
Vice`s media kit describes itself as "a global media brand producing and distributing premium digital media across platforms for 18-34 year olds."
It claims 220 million unique visitors and 500 million video views per month, and has 4,000 employees in 35 offices worldwide. It also has partnerships with YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.
Vice gained notoriety for sending former NBA star Dennis Rodman to North Korea last year.
According to the New York Times, a stumbling block in the talks is whether Time Warner can reach a deal to buy out a five percent stake in Vice held by rival media giant 21st Century Fox, controlled by Rupert Murdoch.
The news comes following Time Warner`s spin off of its magazine publishing arm Time Inc last Friday, a move seen as isolating the media group from the downturn in print journalism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them