Time will come to bury Lenin: Gorbachev
Moscow: Former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on Thursday conceded that Lenin`s body would one day probably have to be moved from its Red Square mausoleum.
But the country`s last communist leader said that Russians would themselves know when the time was right to remove the Soviet founder from his glass display case.
"I think that we will come to this point at some stage," Gorbachev was quoted as saying by Interfax.
"But I do not think that we should be forcing things. Society will know on its own" when the time comes to move Lenin`s body, Gorbachev said.
His remarks came as Russia engaged in its latest round of annual debates about one of history`s most contentious figures. Friday marks the 87th anniversary of the Soviet founder`s death.
Lenin`s body has been on display in the mausoleum since the early Soviet era and calls for his removal were most strident as independent Russia tested its post-communist freedoms in the 1990s.
Those calls have since largely subsided as the country reassesses its vision of the Soviet Union and its leaders. But the ruling United Russia party on Thursday reaffirmed its support for a bill that would force Lenin`s burial in Saint Petersburg, where his mother`s body rests.
"All the experts agree that what is buried there is not Lenin`s real body -- only about 10 percent of it is left," Deputy Vladimir Medinsky told the United Russia website.
"The rest of it has been removed and replaced (with fake body parts) a long time ago," he said.
Gorbachev -- who is no longer a Communist Party member -- launched the 1980s perestroika reform movement that was aimed at saving the Soviet Union from its deep economic malaise.
But that effort and its accompanying press liberalisation wound up unravelling the Soviet system and led to a cultural revolution that saw Lenin`s busts removed from many of the country`s most prominent squares.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org