Titanic menu sold for 46,000 pounds
London: The first dinner menu that was served on the ill-fated Titanic on April 10, 1912 has been sold for 46,000 pounds at an auction. The menu served to the first class passengers include Hors d`oeuvre, roast duckling, fillet of veal and French ice cream.
The affluent menu is dated 10 April 1912, three days before the liner hit an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing 1,522 people.
It was among 400 items being auctioned in Wiltshire in South West England as part of the 100th anniversary of the ship`s sinking in the Atlantic Ocean, the `BBC news` reported.
"Menus from the Titanic are among the most sought after memorabilia from the doomed liner," Andrew Aldridge, of Henry Aldridge and Son Auctioneers, said.
The menu itself was the property of Charles Caswell, a first class steward, aged 34, from Southampton.
Caswell sent the menu to his wife Hilda when Titanic stopped at Queenstown, but he later died when the ship sank.
Also featured in the sale was a gold medal awarded to the rescue ship Carpathia`s Second Officer James Bisset.
He later became Commodore of the Cunard line.
"After the survivors of the Titanic disaster were picked up by the Carpathia, a committee was formed by a group of surviving First class passengers to reward the crew of the Carpathia and the Captain Sir Arthur Rostron with the silver loving cup and medals for all of the crew," said Aldridge.
"This is only the second gold Carpathia medal to be offered in the last 25 years and is thought to be the most senior officer`s medal to ever to go under the auctioneers hammer," Aldridge added.
The medal sold for 41,000 pounds, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’