Titanic menu sold for 46,000 pounds
London: The first dinner menu that was served on the ill-fated Titanic on April 10, 1912 has been sold for 46,000 pounds at an auction. The menu served to the first class passengers include Hors d`oeuvre, roast duckling, fillet of veal and French ice cream.
The affluent menu is dated 10 April 1912, three days before the liner hit an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing 1,522 people.
It was among 400 items being auctioned in Wiltshire in South West England as part of the 100th anniversary of the ship`s sinking in the Atlantic Ocean, the `BBC news` reported.
"Menus from the Titanic are among the most sought after memorabilia from the doomed liner," Andrew Aldridge, of Henry Aldridge and Son Auctioneers, said.
The menu itself was the property of Charles Caswell, a first class steward, aged 34, from Southampton.
Caswell sent the menu to his wife Hilda when Titanic stopped at Queenstown, but he later died when the ship sank.
Also featured in the sale was a gold medal awarded to the rescue ship Carpathia`s Second Officer James Bisset.
He later became Commodore of the Cunard line.
"After the survivors of the Titanic disaster were picked up by the Carpathia, a committee was formed by a group of surviving First class passengers to reward the crew of the Carpathia and the Captain Sir Arthur Rostron with the silver loving cup and medals for all of the crew," said Aldridge.
"This is only the second gold Carpathia medal to be offered in the last 25 years and is thought to be the most senior officer`s medal to ever to go under the auctioneers hammer," Aldridge added.
The medal sold for 41,000 pounds, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister