Titanic menu sold for 46,000 pounds
London: The first dinner menu that was served on the ill-fated Titanic on April 10, 1912 has been sold for 46,000 pounds at an auction. The menu served to the first class passengers include Hors d`oeuvre, roast duckling, fillet of veal and French ice cream.
The affluent menu is dated 10 April 1912, three days before the liner hit an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing 1,522 people.
It was among 400 items being auctioned in Wiltshire in South West England as part of the 100th anniversary of the ship`s sinking in the Atlantic Ocean, the `BBC news` reported.
"Menus from the Titanic are among the most sought after memorabilia from the doomed liner," Andrew Aldridge, of Henry Aldridge and Son Auctioneers, said.
The menu itself was the property of Charles Caswell, a first class steward, aged 34, from Southampton.
Caswell sent the menu to his wife Hilda when Titanic stopped at Queenstown, but he later died when the ship sank.
Also featured in the sale was a gold medal awarded to the rescue ship Carpathia`s Second Officer James Bisset.
He later became Commodore of the Cunard line.
"After the survivors of the Titanic disaster were picked up by the Carpathia, a committee was formed by a group of surviving First class passengers to reward the crew of the Carpathia and the Captain Sir Arthur Rostron with the silver loving cup and medals for all of the crew," said Aldridge.
"This is only the second gold Carpathia medal to be offered in the last 25 years and is thought to be the most senior officer`s medal to ever to go under the auctioneers hammer," Aldridge added.
The medal sold for 41,000 pounds, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?