To cut corners, Britain to give MPs free iPads
London: Tens of thousands of pounds may be spent by the House of Commons to give every British parliamentarian a free iPad tablet computer, as part of a modernisation plan.
Sixteen members have been testing the Apple devices over the past year as part of proposals to modernise the parliament and effect savings in printing costs, the Daily Express reported.
The House`s cross-party Administration Committee has recommended the "rapid rollout of suitable mobile tablet hardware" to all 650 MPs.
Chairman Sir Alan Haselhurst said: "It seems that this is the future, for the convenience in terms of dealing with all the work MPs have to do, but also because it assists in what is a determined policy of the House -- reducing the paper use."
He forecast "an overall saving for the public purse" with such a measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`