To cut corners, Britain to give MPs free iPads
London: Tens of thousands of pounds may be spent by the House of Commons to give every British parliamentarian a free iPad tablet computer, as part of a modernisation plan.
Sixteen members have been testing the Apple devices over the past year as part of proposals to modernise the parliament and effect savings in printing costs, the Daily Express reported.
The House`s cross-party Administration Committee has recommended the "rapid rollout of suitable mobile tablet hardware" to all 650 MPs.
Chairman Sir Alan Haselhurst said: "It seems that this is the future, for the convenience in terms of dealing with all the work MPs have to do, but also because it assists in what is a determined policy of the House -- reducing the paper use."
He forecast "an overall saving for the public purse" with such a measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan