To quit smoking, US woman slaps policeman
Washington: A woman slapped a sheriff`s deputy in the US state of California so that she could get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke cigarettes.
Deputy Matt Campoy said the 31-year-old woman, Etta Mae Lopez, blocked his way as he left his shift at the Sacramento County Jail, CBS 13 reported.
"All of a sudden, she stepped into me and slapped me in the face," he said. Lopez was detained at once. She apparently wanted to use California`s ban on tobacco in prisons to kick the habit.
"She told us that she needed to quit smoking," Campoy said. Lopez reportedly admitted having waited in front of the jail for hours to hit an officer, get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke.
"She explained it with great detail as to why," Campoy said. According to the Sacramento Bee, Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanour battery on a peace officer.
She was sentenced to 63 days in jail, said Shelly Orio, a spokeswoman for the Sacramento County District Attorney`s Office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?