To quit smoking, US woman slaps policeman
Washington: A woman slapped a sheriff`s deputy in the US state of California so that she could get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke cigarettes.
Deputy Matt Campoy said the 31-year-old woman, Etta Mae Lopez, blocked his way as he left his shift at the Sacramento County Jail, CBS 13 reported.
"All of a sudden, she stepped into me and slapped me in the face," he said. Lopez was detained at once. She apparently wanted to use California`s ban on tobacco in prisons to kick the habit.
"She told us that she needed to quit smoking," Campoy said. Lopez reportedly admitted having waited in front of the jail for hours to hit an officer, get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke.
"She explained it with great detail as to why," Campoy said. According to the Sacramento Bee, Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanour battery on a peace officer.
She was sentenced to 63 days in jail, said Shelly Orio, a spokeswoman for the Sacramento County District Attorney`s Office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez