To quit smoking, US woman slaps policeman
Washington: A woman slapped a sheriff`s deputy in the US state of California so that she could get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke cigarettes.
Deputy Matt Campoy said the 31-year-old woman, Etta Mae Lopez, blocked his way as he left his shift at the Sacramento County Jail, CBS 13 reported.
"All of a sudden, she stepped into me and slapped me in the face," he said. Lopez was detained at once. She apparently wanted to use California`s ban on tobacco in prisons to kick the habit.
"She told us that she needed to quit smoking," Campoy said. Lopez reportedly admitted having waited in front of the jail for hours to hit an officer, get arrested and be put in jail, where she would not be allowed to smoke.
"She explained it with great detail as to why," Campoy said. According to the Sacramento Bee, Lopez pleaded no contest to misdemeanour battery on a peace officer.
She was sentenced to 63 days in jail, said Shelly Orio, a spokeswoman for the Sacramento County District Attorney`s Office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation