Todd Akin stays in Senate race despite ‘legitimate rape’ remarks
Washington: Republican lawmaker Todd Akin, who came under fire for his offensive definition of ‘legitimate rape’, has refused to drop out of his Senate race amid mounting pressure from his own party to withdraw.
Akin, a Missouri Congressman sparked off outrage by claiming in a television show that victims of ``legitimate rape`` rarely get pregnant.
He said that ``from what I understand from doctors, women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.’
According to Fox News, GOP leaders tried to minimize the damage caused by his remarks by first condemning Akin`s comments, and then one after another urged him to get out of the race.
The deadline for the Missouri Senate candidate to withdraw has passed, which shows Akin has made it clear that he is staying in the race.
According to the report, Akin had also released an ad pleading for forgiveness from voters.
In the ad, Akin looked into the camera and addressed the controversy surrounding his remarks.
“Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way and for that I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators. I have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault. And I pray for them,” he said.
“The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery