Todd Akin stays in Senate race despite ‘legitimate rape’ remarks
Washington: Republican lawmaker Todd Akin, who came under fire for his offensive definition of ‘legitimate rape’, has refused to drop out of his Senate race amid mounting pressure from his own party to withdraw.
Akin, a Missouri Congressman sparked off outrage by claiming in a television show that victims of ``legitimate rape`` rarely get pregnant.
He said that ``from what I understand from doctors, women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.’
According to Fox News, GOP leaders tried to minimize the damage caused by his remarks by first condemning Akin`s comments, and then one after another urged him to get out of the race.
The deadline for the Missouri Senate candidate to withdraw has passed, which shows Akin has made it clear that he is staying in the race.
According to the report, Akin had also released an ad pleading for forgiveness from voters.
In the ad, Akin looked into the camera and addressed the controversy surrounding his remarks.
“Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way and for that I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators. I have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault. And I pray for them,” he said.
“The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list