Todd Akin stays in Senate race despite ‘legitimate rape’ remarks
Washington: Republican lawmaker Todd Akin, who came under fire for his offensive definition of ‘legitimate rape’, has refused to drop out of his Senate race amid mounting pressure from his own party to withdraw.
Akin, a Missouri Congressman sparked off outrage by claiming in a television show that victims of ``legitimate rape`` rarely get pregnant.
He said that ``from what I understand from doctors, women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.’
According to Fox News, GOP leaders tried to minimize the damage caused by his remarks by first condemning Akin`s comments, and then one after another urged him to get out of the race.
The deadline for the Missouri Senate candidate to withdraw has passed, which shows Akin has made it clear that he is staying in the race.
According to the report, Akin had also released an ad pleading for forgiveness from voters.
In the ad, Akin looked into the camera and addressed the controversy surrounding his remarks.
“Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way and for that I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators. I have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault. And I pray for them,” he said.
“The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest