Todd Akin stays in Senate race despite ‘legitimate rape’ remarks
Washington: Republican lawmaker Todd Akin, who came under fire for his offensive definition of ‘legitimate rape’, has refused to drop out of his Senate race amid mounting pressure from his own party to withdraw.
Akin, a Missouri Congressman sparked off outrage by claiming in a television show that victims of ``legitimate rape`` rarely get pregnant.
He said that ``from what I understand from doctors, women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.’
According to Fox News, GOP leaders tried to minimize the damage caused by his remarks by first condemning Akin`s comments, and then one after another urged him to get out of the race.
The deadline for the Missouri Senate candidate to withdraw has passed, which shows Akin has made it clear that he is staying in the race.
According to the report, Akin had also released an ad pleading for forgiveness from voters.
In the ad, Akin looked into the camera and addressed the controversy surrounding his remarks.
“Rape is an evil act. I used the wrong words in the wrong way and for that I apologize. As the father of two daughters, I want tough justice for predators. I have a compassionate heart for the victims of sexual assault. And I pray for them,” he said.
“The fact is, rape can lead to pregnancy. The truth is, rape has many victims. The mistake I made was in the words I said, not in the heart I hold. I ask for your forgiveness,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble