Toddler found alive in rubble of China train crash
Beijing: A toddler was rescued about 21
hours after a crash involving two high-speed trains in eastern
China killed at least 43 people and injured more than 200
others, state media reported on Sunday.
Xinhua News Agency said the unconscious child was
found early Sunday evening while rescuers were clearing one of
the train cars just as the cleanup efforts were almost
completed. It cited an unnamed firefighter.
"When we found him, he could still move his hands,"
Xinhua quoted the firefighter as saying.
China Central Television first reported that the
toddler was a boy, but later said a 4-year-old girl.
The toddler was taken to the hospital and no other
details were provided.
A bullet train was travelling south from the Zhejiang
provincial capital of Hangzhou yesterday when it lost power in
a lightning strike and stalled, before being hit from behind
by the second train in Wenzhou city.
Eight more bodies were recovered today from damaged
train cars, bringing the death toll to 43, Xinhua said. Two
foreigners were among the dead but their nationalities were
unclear, said an official surnamed Wang in the Zhejiang
provincial emergency office. A total of 211 people were
injured, Xinhua said.
The first four cars of the moving train fell about 65
to 100 feet (20 to 30 metres) off the viaduct onto the ground
below. One carriage ended up in a vertical position, leaning
against the viaduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25