Tokyo most expensive city, Karachi cheapest
Singapore: Tokyo is the most expensive city to live in while Pakistan`s port city Karachi is the cheapest, a survey said Monday.
The study by The Economist Intelligence Unit said the other cities in the top five were Osaka, Sydney, Oslo and Melbourne, Xinhua reported.
Among the 131 cities surveyed, Australian cities ranked high mainly due to inflation and currency swings to make them more costly, the survey said.
In contrast, Karachi was at the bottom of the list and ranked as the cheapest city.
"One of the features of the cost-of-living ranking over the last few years has been the rise of many Asian cities offsetting traditionally more costly European locations."
According to the survey, there are now 11 Asian cities and eight European cities among the world`s 20 most expensive cities.
A decade ago "this was six Asian vs 10 European cities with four cities from the US".
The survey, carried out twice annually and for more than 30 years, collects over 400 individual prices across 160 products and services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack