Tokyo most expensive city, Karachi cheapest
Singapore: Tokyo is the most expensive city to live in while Pakistan`s port city Karachi is the cheapest, a survey said Monday.
The study by The Economist Intelligence Unit said the other cities in the top five were Osaka, Sydney, Oslo and Melbourne, Xinhua reported.
Among the 131 cities surveyed, Australian cities ranked high mainly due to inflation and currency swings to make them more costly, the survey said.
In contrast, Karachi was at the bottom of the list and ranked as the cheapest city.
"One of the features of the cost-of-living ranking over the last few years has been the rise of many Asian cities offsetting traditionally more costly European locations."
According to the survey, there are now 11 Asian cities and eight European cities among the world`s 20 most expensive cities.
A decade ago "this was six Asian vs 10 European cities with four cities from the US".
The survey, carried out twice annually and for more than 30 years, collects over 400 individual prices across 160 products and services.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four arrested in Delhi University admission scam
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez