Tokyo protests Chinese ships` trespass
Tokyo: Tokyo has lodged an official protest with Beijing over Chinese ships entering the territorial waters of disputed islands in the East China Sea, Japanese media reported Wednesday.
Four Chinese maritime surveillance ships were observed near the territorial waters of the Japanese held islands, known as the Senkaku in Japan and the Diaoyus in China, Wednesday morning, Japan`s NHK TV reported.
At 12.30 pm, three of the ships ignored warnings from Japanese patrol vessels and crossed into the territorial waters.
"The Senkakus are Japanese territory and entering Japan`s territorial waters is unacceptable," Shinsuke Sugiyama, the head of Asian Affairs at the Japanese foreign ministry, said during a telephone conversation with a Chinese embassy official. "We demand the ships leave [Japan`s] territorial waters."
The is the second time in the last two days that Chinese surveillance ships have entered the territorial waters around the islands.
On Tuesday, four Chinese ships entered the waters around the islands and remained there about four hours.
Relations between the two countries have plummeted to their lowest level recently over their claims to the islands.
Japan claims it has occupied the islands since 1895, while China maintains the islands were recognized as Chinese as early as 1783.
The islands, which are also claimed by Taiwan, potentially contain large reserves of hydrocarbons.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Bangladesh pacer Shahadat Hossain apologizes for torturing 11-year-old girl, asks for end to ban
- Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's special YOGA session before wedding!
- Vijay Mallya says keen on paying up dues, but Rs 9000 default figure artificially inflated
- Tiananmen activist Lu Jinghua alleges 'India-China economic business deal' behind visa cancellation
- VIDEO: Prepare to laugh - 23 Hilarious Inzamam-ul-Haq run outs!