Tokyo war shrine hit by arson: Official
Tokyo: Tokyo`s controversial Yasukuni shrine, often seen as a symbol of Japan`s wartime aggression, had its main wooden gate set on fire early Monday in a
suspected arson attack, a shrine official said.
A small fire scorched the "Gate of gods", which stands
about 13 metres tall and 28 metres wide, at around
4:00 AM local time, the official said.
The gate, built in 1934 and adorned with huge
gold-leaf chrysanthemums on both portals, was not seriously
damaged as a shrine security guard quickly put the blaze out,
"We believe it was arson because our security footage
shows somebody spraying liquid on the gate before the fire
started," she said.
Police later found two glass containers that appeared
to have contained some kind of fuel oil, local media said.
Japanese media reported that a posting on Twitter,
apparently by a Korean resident of Japan, had threatened a
fire at the shrine.
However, a Tokyo police spokesman played down the
"We are aware of such an Internet posting before the
incident," he said.
"But we see threats against the emperor or the prime
minister posted on the Internet everyday. We investigate all
The Yasukuni shrine is a Shinto sanctuary dedicated to
2.5 million Japanese killed in wars, including 14 of Japan`s
top World War II criminals.
It is regularly a source of friction with Japan`s
neighbours - particularly China and South Korea - who say it
honours those responsible for terrible crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog