Toll from homemade alcohol in Libya touches 51
Tripoli: Fifty-one people have died over the past three days from drinking homemade alcohol that contained poisonous methanol, Libya`s health minister said on Monday.
Minister Nouri Doghman said another 330 people have been taken ill from the alcohol since Saturday, adding that while some were blinded, others went into comas or suffered kidney failure.
He says the dead range in age from 19 to 50 years old, and that Algerians and Tunisians are among the dead.
The sale and consumption of alcohol is banned in the conservative North African country. Like illegal drugs elsewhere, some Libyans turn to black market dealers to buy alcohol, which is often cooked in people`s homes or deserted farms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves