Toll in China landslide rises to 43
Beijing: The death toll in a landslide that occurred earlier this week in southwest China`s Sichuan province has risen to 43, authorities said.
The landslide occurred Wednesday in Sanxi village, Xinhua reported.
Officials said 10 bodies have been identified, while 118 people were still missing. Most of them were tourists.
"So far, no sign of life has been detected at the scene," said Ma Kun, head of the firefighting division in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan province.
The landslide which buried 11 homes is believed to have been triggered by severe rainstorms since Monday.
The affected area of the landslide is two km long, with about 1.5 million cubic metres of mud, rock and debris, said a researcher with the Institute of Mountain and Environment under the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi