Toll in Israel strikes on Gaza hits 184, topping 2012
Gaza City: The death toll from Israel`s seven-day air campaign against Gaza rose to 184 on Monday, exceeding that of the last conflict in the besieged Palestinian territory, in 2012.
Five Palestinians were killed in two separate air strikes late Monday, hiking the toll above the 177 people killed in the last major round of violence between Israel and its Islamist foe Hamas in November 2012.
Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said the strikes killed three people in Rafah in the south of Gaza, including a young child, and two people in Khan Yunis, also in the south.
A UN official said on Monday that more than a quarter of those killed in Gaza since the violence began last week were children.
Earlier, a strike in Gaza City killed a young man, and another Palestinian died of wounds sustained in an earlier raid.
East of Khan Yunis, an Israeli missile struck a motorcycle, killing 17-year-old Ziyad al-Najjar, Qudra said.
His death came shortly after another strike in the same area, which killed a 37-year-old.
A 60-year-old man was killed in a raid on a house in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, and two other people died in separate strikes elsewhere in the coastal enclave, Qudra said.
Earlier, a man and a woman wounded in air strikes on Sunday died of their injuries.
In all, 14 people were killed on Monday, with the total number wounded in the conflict rising to 1,280.
The Gaza-based Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) said on Sunday that more than three-quarters of the dead were civilians.
The bloodiest day so far was Saturday when 56 people were killed.
No Israelis have been killed. Four have been seriously wounded since the start of the operation.
Israel began Operation Protective Edge before dawn on Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.
Since then, more than 800 rockets have hit Israel, while some 187 others have been intercepted by its Iron Dome air defence system, the army said.
Israel`s Operation Pillar of Defence in 2012 was also an attempt to stamp out rocket fire from Gaza militants. It left 177 Palestinians and six Israelis dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi