Toll in Russian nightclub fire rises to 128
Nizhny Novgorod: The toll in Saturday`s nightclub fire in the Russian Urals city of Perm has reached 128, authorities said on Thursday.
"The number of fire victims has reached 128. In addition, 103 people remain in hospitals... and another five are receiving out-patient treatment," the regional emergency authorities said.
The fire engulfed the Lame Horse nightclub in the west Urals city in the early hours of Saturday after an indoor fireworks display went awry.
The preliminary investigation revealed serious violations of fire safety regulations at the club.
The regional government of the Perm Territory and Perm Mayor Arkady Kats resigned on Wednesday over the fire. The new government is expected to be formed as soon as the investigation into the cause of the fire and internal investigations are completed.
On Tuesday, Russian Emergencies Minister Sergei Shoigu sacked a chief fire inspector and six other officials in Perm over the incident.
Charges were brought on Monday against Lame Horse executive director Svetlana Yefremova, acting art director Oleg Fetkulov and co-owner of the club Anatoly Zak, as well as director of the Pirotsvet fireworks supplier Sergei Derbenev.
Checks are being conducted at nightclubs and other leisure and entertainment facilities across the country in the wake of the Perm tragedy and on the eve of the New Year festivities, which are traditionally accompanied in Russia by fireworks displays.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday