`Tom Donilon to discuss N Korea with Russians`
Washington: US National Security Advisor Tom Donilon would discuss the current situation in the Korean Peninsula and the provocative behaviour of North Koreans with his Russian counterpart during his current trip to the country, the White House said on Friday.
"National Security Adviser Donilon is travelling to Russia and he will be meeting with senior officials of the Russian government and discussing a range of topics that are important in our bilateral relationship," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
"I imagine that North Korea will be one of the issues that he discusses in these meetings, but there are of course a number of other issues, very important matters that we regularly discuss with our Russian counterparts," he said.
"So I would not say that this is limited to or a trip designed around the North Korean situation, but I`m sure that will be part of it," Carney said in response to a question.
The Obama administration, he said, is asking both Russia and China, to help defuse the situation and use their influence over the North Koreans to stop its leaders from its provocative behaviour.
"We have been discussing with the Russians as well as the Chinese what they can do to use their influence with North Korea to persuade North Korea to step back from some of the actions and rhetoric that we have seen from North Korea," Carney said.
"They have and China in particular has unique influence with North Korea, which is an isolated country with not a great many nations that it communicates directly with. So that relationship between China and North Korea and also between Russia and North Korea is one that we hope can be utilised to bring about some change in behaviour," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa