`Tom Donilon to discuss N Korea with Russians`
Washington: US National Security Advisor Tom Donilon would discuss the current situation in the Korean Peninsula and the provocative behaviour of North Koreans with his Russian counterpart during his current trip to the country, the White House said on Friday.
"National Security Adviser Donilon is travelling to Russia and he will be meeting with senior officials of the Russian government and discussing a range of topics that are important in our bilateral relationship," White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters at his daily news conference.
"I imagine that North Korea will be one of the issues that he discusses in these meetings, but there are of course a number of other issues, very important matters that we regularly discuss with our Russian counterparts," he said.
"So I would not say that this is limited to or a trip designed around the North Korean situation, but I`m sure that will be part of it," Carney said in response to a question.
The Obama administration, he said, is asking both Russia and China, to help defuse the situation and use their influence over the North Koreans to stop its leaders from its provocative behaviour.
"We have been discussing with the Russians as well as the Chinese what they can do to use their influence with North Korea to persuade North Korea to step back from some of the actions and rhetoric that we have seen from North Korea," Carney said.
"They have and China in particular has unique influence with North Korea, which is an isolated country with not a great many nations that it communicates directly with. So that relationship between China and North Korea and also between Russia and North Korea is one that we hope can be utilised to bring about some change in behaviour," he said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Water woes: MNS activists vandalise irrigation office in Pune
- Hafiz Saeed says JuD won't allow Hindu temples in Pakistan to be destroyed
- Bangla SC to pronounce fate of Jamaat-e-Islami chief on May 5
- Singapore detains 8 Bangladeshis for alleged IS-related terror plot
- 3 percent quota for differently-abled, not implemented: Govt