Ton of explosives seized on way to Egypt’s Sinai
Cairo: A senior Egyptian security official says police have seized a ton of explosives headed to the Sinai Peninsula, which borders Israel and the Gaza Strip.
Adel Rifaat, the security chief of Suez city at the southern end of the Suez Canal, said on Sunday the explosives were discovered in a truck crossing into Sinai from mainland Egypt through a traffic tunnel under the canal.
The truck driver was arrested for questioning about the origin of his cargo and its final destination.
Lawlessness has been rife in Sinai since the ouster of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak in February 2011. Weapons have flowed into the peninsula from Libya, where an eight-month civil war ended in late 2011.
Many of these weapons are smuggled into Hamas-ruled Gaza. Sinai`s Islamist militants have also grown in strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday