Ton of explosives seized on way to Egypt’s Sinai
Cairo: A senior Egyptian security official says police have seized a ton of explosives headed to the Sinai Peninsula, which borders Israel and the Gaza Strip.
Adel Rifaat, the security chief of Suez city at the southern end of the Suez Canal, said on Sunday the explosives were discovered in a truck crossing into Sinai from mainland Egypt through a traffic tunnel under the canal.
The truck driver was arrested for questioning about the origin of his cargo and its final destination.
Lawlessness has been rife in Sinai since the ouster of longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak in February 2011. Weapons have flowed into the peninsula from Libya, where an eight-month civil war ended in late 2011.
Many of these weapons are smuggled into Hamas-ruled Gaza. Sinai`s Islamist militants have also grown in strength.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Wow! KFC India to replace plastic packaging with edible bowls!
- UN blacklists Indian-flagged cargo vessel carrying Libyan oil
- One minute of intense exercise can help you stay fit!
- Don't refer Bhagat Singh, Chandra Shekhar Azad as terrorists: HRD Ministry to DU
- Navjot Singh Sidhu takes oath as Rajya Sabha member – SEE PICS