Tonga in South Pacific lashed by powerful cyclone
Nuku`Alofa: The South Pacific island nation of Tonga was lashed by a powerful cyclone on Friday, with damage reported in the northern islands.
A state of emergency was declared for Vava`u and Ha`apai islands today morning as category-five storm Cyclone Ian brought heavy rain and strong winds forecast to gust at up to 287 kph (178 mph), the Matangi Tonga news website said.
The main island of Tongatapu appears to have avoided the worst of the storm, which is at the top of the scale of destructive cyclones.
"We have received a damages report from the island of Hunga and our team are still out trying to get a feel, but there doesn`t appear to have been much damage in Vava`u at the moment," Tonga`s Director of Emergencies Leveni Aho told the website.
Aho advised against travel between Tongan islands during the storm and urged residents of outer islands to stay put.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof