Tony Abbott apologizes to Australian PM Gillard
Canberra: Australia`s opposition leader apologized to Prime Minister Julia Gillard on Tuesday for suggesting that her government is inexperienced in family policy. Some saw the comment as a cheap shot at the prime minister, who has no children.
Tony Abbott`s apology came two weeks after Gillard, Australia`s first woman prime minister, branded him a misogynist in an extraordinary attack in a speech to Parliament.
Gillard took offense today when Abbott attacked the government`s announcement that it was reducing the amount of public money parents receive for every newborn.
Parents are currently paid 5,000 Australian dollars for each baby. But from mid-2013, each second and subsequent baby will earn parents only AD 3,000, with government officials explaining that such families could reuse items such as cribs and strollers.
Abbott argued that parents sometimes needed to buy a second crib or a larger stroller that could carry two children.
"I think if the government was a bit more experienced in this area, they wouldn`t come out with glib lines like that," Abbott told Seven Network television.
The incident has reminded some of a furore created five years ago by Sen Bill Heffernan, a colleague in Abbott`s conservative Liberal Party, who said Gillard, now aged 51, did not deserve a leadership role because she had decided not to have children.
Heffernan described Gillard as "deliberately barren," and argued that without children, Gillard lacked the community understanding required by a leader.
Heffernan later apologized for his "completely inappropriate and insensitive remarks," which were condemned by his political allies as well as opponents.
Gillard today called on Abbott to explain his remark.
"On families and pressures with children, the government is certainly working with Australian families and we understand many families are struggling to make ends meet," she told Australian Broadcasting Corp radio.
Trade Minister Craig Emerson accused Abbott of "making inferences" against Gillard. All 22 Cabinet ministers have children except for Gillard and Foreign Minister Bob Carr.
Defense Minister Stephen Smith said, "Blind Freddy could have told you the way in which that comment would have been interpreted," adding that Abbott`s judgment was under a cloud.
Abbott denied that his remark was aimed at Gillard, but offered an apology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow