Tony Abbott sworn in as Australia PM
Zee Media Bureau
Canberra: Tony Abbott was sworn in as the new Prime Minister of Australia on Wednesday after defeating former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd’s Labor party in last month’s elections.
55-year-old Abbott was formally sworn-in before the Governor-General Quentin Bryce.
"Today is not just a ceremonial day, it`s an action day," Abbott said in a statement.
Abbott`s leadership team had already begun exercising control. Two days after the election, Bishop cancelled the previous government`s appointment of Steve Bracks, a former Labour state premier, to consul-general to New York.
Abbott also announced that Australia`s contentious new policy on asylum seekers that includes turning back their boats to Indonesia begins on Wednesday after the swearing in ceremony.
Australia has seen an increase in the number of such asylum seekers from Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and other countries, many of whom pay smugglers up to $10,000 to get them to Australia from Indonesian ports
The incoming government announced on Tuesday that deputy army chief, Maj. Gen. Angus Campbell, had been appointed to lead Australia`s new border protection policy, Operation Sovereign Borders. Campbell will be promoted to lieutenant general in this new role.
The new policy, which has been criticized by Indonesian officials, also includes buying fishing boats from Indonesian villages to prevent them falling into the hands of people smugglers. Australian officials would also pay villages for information about people smugglers under another controversial aspect to the policy.
Acting opposition leader Chris Bowen on Wednesday said the plan would cause problems with the countries` close relationship.
"Mr. Abbott has told us he wants a Jakarta-based foreign policy at the same time as saying to Jakarta we don`t care what you think, this is what we`re doing," Bowen told Australian Broadcasting Corp. "This is a recipe, frankly, for ongoing problems in relation to boats arriving in Australia -- it`s (a) recipe for ongoing dispute with Indonesia about this issue."
Also, refugees who arrive by boat will be given temporary protection visas from Wednesday instead of being permanently resettled in Australia.
Abbott plans to make his first international trip as prime minister to Indonesia on Sept. 30 to discuss the plan and other issues.
On energy policy, Abbott plans to order officials to draft legislation that would repeal the unpopular carbon tax imposed on the country`s biggest greenhouse gas emitters.
From Wednesday, the Clean Energy Finance Corp., a 10 billion Australian dollar ($9.4 billion) government fund to finance low-pollution technologies, will be barred from making any further loans.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez