Tony Blair to blame for Zimbabwe woes: Robert Mugabe
London: Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe said former British prime minister Tony Blair was to blame for his country`s problems on the eve of a crucial general election.
In an interview with Britain`s ITV News, Mugabe lashed out at Blair for his pursual of sanctions and said he had "no regrets" from his 33-year tenure as president.
When asked what was the root of Zimbabwe`s recent economic chaos, which resulted in inflation of 79.6 million percent per month in 2008, he replied: "Really condemnation by us of Britain and mainly of the government of Mr Blair.
"He`s the one who caused it," added the veteran leader yesterday.
"He didn`t want dialogue. We wondered what kind of government it was that would prefer to impose sanctions on us."
He told Blair to "go to hell" in 2002 after the then British leader endorsed the opposition before elections, and accused Britain of poking its "pink noses in our business".
Mugabe yesterday vowed to step down if he loses the fiercely-contested election, as his rivals charged they had concrete evidence of vote rigging.
In response, the president told ITV News that rigging was "a foreign word."
"We have never, ever rigged an election," he insisted.
"I don`t have regrets at all."
Mugabe, through a series of violent and suspect elections, has ruled Zimbabwe for 33 years uninterrupted since it gained independence from Britain.
He faces a major challenge from Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai, his reluctant partner in an uneasy power-sharing government forged after the last bloody polls in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray