Tony Blair `would love to comeback as UK leader’
London: Former British prime minister Tony Blair has said that he would love to have a chance to return as the country’s leader.
In an interview to mark the fifth anniversary of his departure from office, Blair, however, acknowledged that a comeback was extremely unlikely.
Blair told how he believed the Labour Party that he led for 13 years could return to power, urging his successor not to abandon the political centre ground, New24 reports.
When asked if he would welcome a return as prime minister, Blair was quoted by London’s Evening Standard as saying, ‘Yes, sure, but it’s not likely to happen is it, so...’
Blair, who became Labour leader in 1994 and British chief in 1997, resigned in June 2007, hurried out of power by supporters of his restive Treasury chief Gordon Brown, who had long desired to lead the country, but lasted less than three years once he captured the post.
The Labour Party was ousted from office in May 2010, when no party won an overall majority in a national election.
Blair also said he believes the next election, scheduled for May 2015, will likely see Prime Minister David Cameron’s Conservatives or the Labour Party win outright.
“Frankly you can’t tell what will happen, if there will be a coalition or not, but I suspect it will be far more of a two party fight next time,” the report quoted him, as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE