Too much media buzz might have made Shahzad flee
New York: Excessive and specific
information being broadcast by the media about Faisal Shahzad
in the hours following the failed bombing attempt by the
Pakistani-American might have prompted him to try to flee, a
top police official has said.
Shahzad, 30, was captured trying to escape from New
York on an Emirates flight to Dubai with Pakistan as his final
He was apprehended minutes before the plane took off.
New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly told
reporters, that "before the individual was taken into custody,
there was a lot of specific information about who we were
looking for," and "there`s some indication this information
made the individual leave".
"It makes no sense to me to give specific information
that can warn someone that we`re looking for them," CNN quoted
him as saying.
Kelly, however, noted that this surplus information
had not been given by the police but was leaked.
He said despite the fact that the investigation was
ongoing, "inordinate amount of information (was) given out by
The police commissioner also drew parallels between
the several cases of homegrown terrorists that have surfaced
in the US like Afghan immigrant Najibullah Zazi, arrested for
planning terror strikes.
A few common threads that emerged are -- a middle-
class family, use of the Internet, no previous criminal
records, but the radicalisation seeped in due to overseas
travel and interactions with extremists.
US Attorney General Eric Holder has said that the
present investigation implicates the Pakistani Taliban in the
foiled Times Square terror attack.
After claiming responsibility for the attack
initially, the Pakistan-Taliban stated that they were not
involved in this attempt, but maintained that they had sent
suicide bombers to the US to carry out attacks.
Having waived his arraignments rights, Shahzad is
cooperating with the authorities and had not appeared in
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Priyanka Chopra's dinner date with 'Baywatch' cast! View in pic
- Updated WhatsApp with 'call back', voice mail, video calling features coming soon!
- Ancient Hindu temple reopens after 27 years in Srinagar, Kashmiri Pandits jubilant
- AgustaWestland yet to return entire down payment made by India for VVIP choppers: Report
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics