Top British woman soldier quits Army ahead of cuts
London: A top ranking woman officer, tipped to become the first female Army general in British military history, has quit days before the country announces plans to slash the force`s numbers to the lowest level in a century.
Brigadier Nicky Moffat has handed in her notice after 26 years` service.
"The timing of her departure is a blow to ministers as they prepare to this week announce controversial plans to reduce the Army`s manpower from 100,000 soldiers to 82,000 by 2020," the Daily Mail reported today.
Moffat, 50, stunned colleagues by announcing she was stepping down as the Armed Forces` head of pay and strategic manning at the Ministry of Defence.
The report said Moffat was widely tipped to become the first female general in British military history.
Another high-ranking officer, Brigadier Justin Maciejewski, the director of combat, is expected to follow suit by seeking voluntary redundancy.
According to reports, both had become disgruntled at the deep cuts and there is speculation that more high-profile resignations will follow.
"Brigadier Moffat yesterday denied these claims but gave no further explanation for her decision to leave," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Spine chilling! French swimmer Yannick Agnel promises to swim around the Nordic island if Iceland win Euro 2016
- LeEco Le 2, Le Max2 second flash sale on July 5; registrations open
- Opal-studded meteorite points towards evolution of water on Earth!
- 'Rock On 2': Arjun Rampal clears air about spat with Purab Kohli, says it's 'fake news'!
- Despite ban, 15 alcohol factories still active in Bihar?