Top Bulgarian judges charged with EU funds embezzlement
Sofia: Bulgarian prosecutors pressed charges against two top judges on Monday for alleged abuse of power and embezzlement of European Union funds.
Bulgaria joined the EU in 2007 and has since been an almost permanent target of criticism by the bloc`s executive arm for failing to reform its sluggish and corrupt judiciary.
On Monday, the head of the Military Appeals Court Petar Petkov and his predecessor Veselin Pengezov were charged with misusing EU funds earmarked for a new 350,000-euro ($480,000) administrative system in their court, prosecutors said.
The prosecutors did not say how much the judges are accused of embezzling from the project, which was launched in 2008.
Both Pengezov, who is now chairman of the Sofia Appeals Court, and Petkov have denied the allegations.
"Neither me nor my collegue Pengezov have any concerns. All the actions we took on the implementation of the project in question... have conformed with the law," Petkov told reporters.
"We have not misused any public funds -- neither to our own benefit, nor to the benefit of other persons," he added.
Bulgarian judges enjoy very low levels of public trust after systematically failing to jail notorious criminals in court trials that have dragged on for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’