Top Chinese Communist Party leader faces graft probe: Report
Beijing: A top Chinese leader, elected to the powerful 25 member Politburo of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) in November last, is under investigation for corruption, a media report said today.
Li Jianguo, 67, who is also the Vice Chairman of China`s legislature, the National People`s Congress (NPC) besides being the member of the Politburo, is being investigated for corruption, Hong Kong-based Ming Pao newspaper reported.
If confirmed, Li would be the highest ranking member of the CPC to be facing anti-corruption probe.
Following the probe, he was admitted to a Beijing military hospital due to "psychological stress", the daily reported. He has not yet been formally charged, it said.
There is no official confirmation yet in this case.
Ever since the 18th Congress of the CPC which elected new leadership, the party leaders have been openly admitting that corruption has become menace threatening Party`s 64-year-old hold over power.
New Leader of the CPC, Xi Jinping 59, has said that rot had set in party`s echelons, and reminded the Party men of "cyclical rise and fall of rulers" in Chinese history.
He said anti-corruption efforts should target low ranking "flies" and high ranking "tigers".
In the recent weeks Chinese official media was full of reports of crackdown on corrupt officials at various levels and some reports said that large number of officials was disposing of their assets to avoid investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP