Top Chinese military award for PLA`s Tibet regime
Beijing: China`s new leader Xi Jinping today conferred the top military award to People`s Liberation Army`s (PLA) Tibet regiment for affectively coping up with high altitude conditions in the remote Himalayan region.
Xi, who is the head of the military by virtue of being the Chairman of the Central Military Commission, awarded the honorary title of `Model Company for Garrisoning the Country`s Frontier on the Plateau` to Ali Military Sub-command in Tibet Autonomous Region.
Over 80 soldiers in the company have suffered from illnesses caused by high altitude, with another six permanently disabled and five losing their lives, official Xinhua news agency reported.
The company is dedicated to "publicising ethnic and religious policies of the Communist Party of China, sincerely serving Tibetan people, aiding exceptionally impoverished students and facilitating medical service for herders", according to the citation.
"Their service has greatly promoted solidarity between the army, government and people," it said.
Xi signed orders of commendation to honour seven military units and 25 individuals for their outstanding service.
Lin Junde, a deceased researcher from a test and training base, was awarded the honorary title of `Outstanding Scientist Dedicated to National Defense-related Scientific and Technological Development`.
Six other units were awarded the first-class merit citation, and 24 other individuals first-class, second-class and third-class merit citations for their excellent performance, the report said.
Xi was elected as the General Secretary of the ruling Communist Party of China, (CPC) two months ago succeeding Hu Jintao.
Subsequently he took over as the Chairman of the Military Commission, which controlled the armed forces of the country. He is due to take over as the country`s President in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi