Top Chinese military award for PLA`s Tibet regime
Beijing: China`s new leader Xi Jinping today conferred the top military award to People`s Liberation Army`s (PLA) Tibet regiment for affectively coping up with high altitude conditions in the remote Himalayan region.
Xi, who is the head of the military by virtue of being the Chairman of the Central Military Commission, awarded the honorary title of `Model Company for Garrisoning the Country`s Frontier on the Plateau` to Ali Military Sub-command in Tibet Autonomous Region.
Over 80 soldiers in the company have suffered from illnesses caused by high altitude, with another six permanently disabled and five losing their lives, official Xinhua news agency reported.
The company is dedicated to "publicising ethnic and religious policies of the Communist Party of China, sincerely serving Tibetan people, aiding exceptionally impoverished students and facilitating medical service for herders", according to the citation.
"Their service has greatly promoted solidarity between the army, government and people," it said.
Xi signed orders of commendation to honour seven military units and 25 individuals for their outstanding service.
Lin Junde, a deceased researcher from a test and training base, was awarded the honorary title of `Outstanding Scientist Dedicated to National Defense-related Scientific and Technological Development`.
Six other units were awarded the first-class merit citation, and 24 other individuals first-class, second-class and third-class merit citations for their excellent performance, the report said.
Xi was elected as the General Secretary of the ruling Communist Party of China, (CPC) two months ago succeeding Hu Jintao.
Subsequently he took over as the Chairman of the Military Commission, which controlled the armed forces of the country. He is due to take over as the country`s President in March.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city