Top Colombian rebel commander killed
Bogota: Colombian authorities
say the field marshal and No 2 commander of the country`s main
leftist rebel group has been killed in a military raid.
National police spokesman Wilson Vaquero tells a news agency that Jorge Briceno was killed today in
Colombia`s eastern plains.
The death of the rebel leader known as Mono Jojoy,
would be the biggest setback to the Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia since mid-2008, when its foreign minister was
killed and soldiers rescued 15 hostages including Ingrid
Betancourt and three US contractors.
Vaquero did not immediately offer details and
officials say President Juan Manuel Santos will announce them.
He is attending the UN General Assembly in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi