Top Colombian rebel commander killed
Bogota: Colombian authorities
say the field marshal and No 2 commander of the country`s main
leftist rebel group has been killed in a military raid.
National police spokesman Wilson Vaquero tells a news agency that Jorge Briceno was killed today in
Colombia`s eastern plains.
The death of the rebel leader known as Mono Jojoy,
would be the biggest setback to the Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia since mid-2008, when its foreign minister was
killed and soldiers rescued 15 hostages including Ingrid
Betancourt and three US contractors.
Vaquero did not immediately offer details and
officials say President Juan Manuel Santos will announce them.
He is attending the UN General Assembly in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi