Top Colombian rebel commander killed
Bogota: Colombian authorities
say the field marshal and No 2 commander of the country`s main
leftist rebel group has been killed in a military raid.
National police spokesman Wilson Vaquero tells a news agency that Jorge Briceno was killed today in
Colombia`s eastern plains.
The death of the rebel leader known as Mono Jojoy,
would be the biggest setback to the Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia since mid-2008, when its foreign minister was
killed and soldiers rescued 15 hostages including Ingrid
Betancourt and three US contractors.
Vaquero did not immediately offer details and
officials say President Juan Manuel Santos will announce them.
He is attending the UN General Assembly in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea applies for bail, says her medical condition 'deteriorating'