Top Colombian rebel commander killed
Bogota: Colombian authorities
say the field marshal and No 2 commander of the country`s main
leftist rebel group has been killed in a military raid.
National police spokesman Wilson Vaquero tells a news agency that Jorge Briceno was killed today in
Colombia`s eastern plains.
The death of the rebel leader known as Mono Jojoy,
would be the biggest setback to the Revolutionary Armed Forces
of Colombia since mid-2008, when its foreign minister was
killed and soldiers rescued 15 hostages including Ingrid
Betancourt and three US contractors.
Vaquero did not immediately offer details and
officials say President Juan Manuel Santos will announce them.
He is attending the UN General Assembly in New York.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report