Top Egypt commander escapes life bid, says Army
Cairo: Chief of Egypt`s second field army escaped an attempt on his life in the border town of Rafah after gunmen opened fire on his car, an army spokesman said.
Militants attacked the senior military commander convoy while he was checking Shaykh Zuwayed area near the border with the Gaza Strip.
One girl was hurt during the exchange of fire and died later in hospital, the army said. Militants who were in a truck were chased down and stopped.
"There have been several attacks in Sinai on army and police officers to create chaos in the area and harming the stability and national security of Egypt," the army said.
Sinai is known to be a stronghold of hardline Islamists and trouble has started in Sinai concurrent with the ousting of president Mohamad Morsi.
Leading Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed al Beltagy said that violence in Sanai will stop as soon as Morsi is reinstated as Egypt`s president.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory