Top Egypt commander escapes life bid, says Army
Cairo: Chief of Egypt`s second field army escaped an attempt on his life in the border town of Rafah after gunmen opened fire on his car, an army spokesman said.
Militants attacked the senior military commander convoy while he was checking Shaykh Zuwayed area near the border with the Gaza Strip.
One girl was hurt during the exchange of fire and died later in hospital, the army said. Militants who were in a truck were chased down and stopped.
"There have been several attacks in Sinai on army and police officers to create chaos in the area and harming the stability and national security of Egypt," the army said.
Sinai is known to be a stronghold of hardline Islamists and trouble has started in Sinai concurrent with the ousting of president Mohamad Morsi.
Leading Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed al Beltagy said that violence in Sanai will stop as soon as Morsi is reinstated as Egypt`s president.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AgustaWestland bribery scam: CBI questions ex-IAF deputy chief JS Gujaral
- Subramanian Swamy may soon form Virat Hindustan Sansadiya Sangam of MPs for grand Hindutva concept
- Indian Premier League, Match 28: Gujarat Lions vs Kings XI Punjab - Preview
- Indian Premier League, Match 29: Rising Pune Supergiants vs Mumbai Indians - Preview
- Draft Bill for statehood of Delhi is ready: CM Arvind Kejriwal