Top Egypt commander escapes life bid, says Army
Cairo: Chief of Egypt`s second field army escaped an attempt on his life in the border town of Rafah after gunmen opened fire on his car, an army spokesman said.
Militants attacked the senior military commander convoy while he was checking Shaykh Zuwayed area near the border with the Gaza Strip.
One girl was hurt during the exchange of fire and died later in hospital, the army said. Militants who were in a truck were chased down and stopped.
"There have been several attacks in Sinai on army and police officers to create chaos in the area and harming the stability and national security of Egypt," the army said.
Sinai is known to be a stronghold of hardline Islamists and trouble has started in Sinai concurrent with the ousting of president Mohamad Morsi.
Leading Muslim Brotherhood leader Mohamed al Beltagy said that violence in Sanai will stop as soon as Morsi is reinstated as Egypt`s president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India