Top Hamas official visits Tehran
Tehran: A senior Hamas figure in Gaza,
Mahmud Zahar, is visiting Tehran for meetings with top Iranian
officials, media reported on Thursday.
Zahar`s trip was taking place shortly after Gaza
militants and Israel agreed a fragile truce that ended four
days of deadly cross-border violence.
Zahar, who serves as Hamas` foreign minister, met the
head of Iran`s supreme national security council, Saeed
Jalili, and the leader of Iran`s parliament, Ali Larijani,
late yesterday, the official IRNA news agency reported.
Jalili reiterated Iran`s unwavering support for the
Palestinian cause, and cautioned Zahar against "plots" seeking
to divide the Palestinian resistance, the report said.
Zahar was quoted as saying that "the principles and
strategy of the Palestinian Islamic resistance will not
Zahar`s visit to Tehran followed one by Hamas leader
Ismail Haniyeh last month, who on February 11 shared the
podium with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to
commemorate the anniversary of Iran`s 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Israel and the United States consider Hamas to be an
armed proxy of Iran able to strike Israel with
Iranian-supplied rockets should the Islamic republic be
Israeli premier Benjamin Netanyahu yesterday branded Gaza
an "advance post for Iran," which he explicitly accused of
arming, financing and training militants in the Palestinian
However Ahmed Yussef, a counsellor to the Hamas foreign
ministry, earlier this month told AFP that "Iran does not need
Hamas to respond to Israel in the event of an attack, because
it has enormous military capabilities at its disposal, which
allow it to act without us." (AFP)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark