Top Iranian economist jailed for 9 years: Lawyer
Tehran, Dec 02: Leading Iranian economist Saeed
Laylaz has been sentenced to nine years in prison for
protesting against the re-election of President Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad, his lawyer said today.
"The court of first instance has sentenced Laylaz to a
nine-year jail term," Mahmoud Alizadeh Tabatabai was quoted as
saying by Fars news agency.
Laylaz was charged with taking part in illegal
gatherings and possessing classified documents, the lawyer
said, adding that the court had also refused to release him on
A prominent reformist, Laylaz has been an outspoken
critic of Ahmadinejad`s political and economic policies.
Iranian media have reported that 81 people, among them
reformists, journalists and political activists, have so far
been sentenced to jail terms of up to 15 years for opposing
The Islamic republic was plunged into one of the worst
political crises in its 30-year history when mass protests
erupted against Ahmadinejad`s re-election in June.
Thousands of people were arrested and dozens killed.
The opposition charges that some detainees were abused
or raped in custody. About 140 protesters have been put on
The heavy jail term for Laylaz came a day after top
dissident cleric Grand Ayatollah Hossein Ali Montazeri urged
the authorities to "correct their wrong way and gain people`s
and God`s satisfaction," over the post-election unrest.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India