Top Islamic institution slams Quran-burning plan
Cairo: The world`s pre-eminent Sunni Muslim institution of learning has condemned a Florida church`s plans to host a Quran-burning ceremony on September 11.
In a statement carried by local media on Thursday, Al-Azhar`s Supreme Council in Egypt accused the church of "stirring up hate and discrimination" and called on other American churches to condemn the event.
The Dove World Outreach Centre is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organisers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event.
The Gainesville church, which also campaigns against homosexuality, made headlines last year after distributing T-shirts that read ‘Islam is of the Devil’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail