Top Islamic institution slams Quran-burning plan
Cairo: The world`s pre-eminent Sunni Muslim institution of learning has condemned a Florida church`s plans to host a Quran-burning ceremony on September 11.
In a statement carried by local media on Thursday, Al-Azhar`s Supreme Council in Egypt accused the church of "stirring up hate and discrimination" and called on other American churches to condemn the event.
The Dove World Outreach Centre is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organisers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event.
The Gainesville church, which also campaigns against homosexuality, made headlines last year after distributing T-shirts that read ‘Islam is of the Devil’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list