Top Islamic institution slams Quran-burning plan
Cairo: The world`s pre-eminent Sunni Muslim institution of learning has condemned a Florida church`s plans to host a Quran-burning ceremony on September 11.
In a statement carried by local media on Thursday, Al-Azhar`s Supreme Council in Egypt accused the church of "stirring up hate and discrimination" and called on other American churches to condemn the event.
The Dove World Outreach Centre is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organisers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event.
The Gainesville church, which also campaigns against homosexuality, made headlines last year after distributing T-shirts that read ‘Islam is of the Devil’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?