Top Islamic institution slams Quran-burning plan
Cairo: The world`s pre-eminent Sunni Muslim institution of learning has condemned a Florida church`s plans to host a Quran-burning ceremony on September 11.
In a statement carried by local media on Thursday, Al-Azhar`s Supreme Council in Egypt accused the church of "stirring up hate and discrimination" and called on other American churches to condemn the event.
The Dove World Outreach Centre is planning to burn the Islamic holy text on church grounds in remembrance of the victims of 9/11. Organisers are using its website and social-networking sites like Facebook to promote the event.
The Gainesville church, which also campaigns against homosexuality, made headlines last year after distributing T-shirts that read ‘Islam is of the Devil’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery