Top Muslim cleric shot dead in Russia
Moscow: A top Muslim cleric in Russia`s Tatarstan province was shot dead and another wounded by a car bomb in two separate attacks apparently related to the priests` criticism of radical Islamists, investigators said on Thursday.
Russia`s Investigative Committee said that Valiulla Yakupov, the deputy to the Muslim province`s chief mufti, was gunned down today on the way out of his house in Tatarstan`s regional capital, Kazan.
Chief mufti Ildus Faizov was wounded in the leg after an explosive device ripped through his vehicle in central Kazan, Tatarstan investigator Eduard Abdullin told a news agency.
Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin told Russian news agencies that his agency is looking into the clerics` professional activity as a possible cause of the attacks.
Both clerics were known as critics of radical Islamist groups that advocate a strict version of Islam known as Salafism. Faizov was also criticised by media in Tatarstan for allegedly profiting on tours he organised for Muslim pilgrims.
The rise of Salafism in this Volga River province has been fuelled by the influx of Muslim clerics from Chechnya and other predominantly Muslim provinces of Russia`s Caucasus region where radical Islamists have for years been involved in a violent confrontation with secular authorities.
In 2008, a court in Kazan sentenced a radical Islamist leader to life in prison for organising a group that planned terrorist attacks in Tatarstan. Sixteen of his followers received prison terms ranging from three to 12 years.
More than a half of Tatarstan`s population of four million is Sunni Muslims. Tatars converted to Islam more than a thousand years ago, and the province became an important centre of Muslim learning and culture under Tatar-Mongol rulers that controlled Russia and parts of Eastern Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid