Top Muslim cleric shot dead in volatile Caucasus: Official
Moscow: The top Muslim cleric was shot dead on Wednesday by unidentified assailants in Russia`s volatile region of Kabardino-Balkaria, an official said.
Anas Pshikhachev, the region`s top mufti, received several gunshot wounds and died of his injuries on the spot in the town of Nalchik, a spokeswoman for the regional investigators said.
She declined further details, saying only that investigators went to inspect the scene.
Kabardino-Balkaria, which is famed for its ski resorts, is located near the volatile regions of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia, where the authorities are battling a Muslim insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill