Top Muslim cleric shot dead in volatile Caucasus: Official
Moscow: The top Muslim cleric was shot dead on Wednesday by unidentified assailants in Russia`s volatile region of Kabardino-Balkaria, an official said.
Anas Pshikhachev, the region`s top mufti, received several gunshot wounds and died of his injuries on the spot in the town of Nalchik, a spokeswoman for the regional investigators said.
She declined further details, saying only that investigators went to inspect the scene.
Kabardino-Balkaria, which is famed for its ski resorts, is located near the volatile regions of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia, where the authorities are battling a Muslim insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway