Top Muslim cleric shot dead in volatile Caucasus: Official
Moscow: The top Muslim cleric was shot dead on Wednesday by unidentified assailants in Russia`s volatile region of Kabardino-Balkaria, an official said.
Anas Pshikhachev, the region`s top mufti, received several gunshot wounds and died of his injuries on the spot in the town of Nalchik, a spokeswoman for the regional investigators said.
She declined further details, saying only that investigators went to inspect the scene.
Kabardino-Balkaria, which is famed for its ski resorts, is located near the volatile regions of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia, where the authorities are battling a Muslim insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him