Top Republican launches special committee on Benghazi
Washington: House Speaker John Boehner today said that he is establishing a select committee to investigate the deadly 2012 attack on the US mission in Benghazi, Libya.
President Barack Obama`s foes in Congress have long accused the White House of misleading the public about what happened in Benghazi and in the aftermath of the assault that killed ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans.
But the criticism snowballed this week when a conservative group published a White House email which critics said administration officials withheld from congressional investigators and which raises fresh questions about the White House response.
"These revelations compel the House to take every possible action to ensure the American people have the truth about the terrorist attack on our consulate," top Republican Boehner said in a statement.
"In light of these new developments, the House will vote to establish a new select committee to investigate the attack, provide the necessary accountability, and ensure justice is finally served."
The move suggests Boehner finally relented to his party`s right flank, which has long pressed for stronger action to probe the attack.
Seeking to elevate the investigation to a new level, the chief government watchdog in Congress slapped Secretary of State John Kerry with a subpoena compelling him to testify about Benghazi on May 21.
House Government Oversight Committee chairman Darrell Issa announced the subpoena in a tweet, saying "the State Department has failed to meet its legal obligations" to turn over all Benghazi-related documents.
Rules Committee chairman Pete Sessions, a close Boehner ally, said he would help establish the committee and hopes it will "force the administration to comply with the law, and provide answers for the American people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore